• 1 small beet, washed, trimmed and peeled
• 5 tablespoons olive oil
• 2¼ cup chicken stock
• ¾ cup Cabernet Sauvignon
• ½ large white onion, finely chopped
• 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
• 6 garlic cloves, minced
• 1½ cup Arborio rice
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 8-12 extra large shrimp, thawed if frozen, deveined and peeled, tails on
• ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
• ½ cup Parmesano Reggiano, grated, plus more for passing as desired
• ¼ cup fresh arugula, finely minced
• Salt and pepper to season
No nutrition information available
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Cut the beet in half and place both halves into a piece of foil with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Roast until just tender, about 30-40 minutes. Remove from the foil and when cool enough to handl, grate one half and finely dice the other. Set aside in separate bowls.
3. In a large saucepan, heat the stock just to very low simmer and keep warm. In s small saucepan, bring the wine to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a Dutch oven or high sided large skillet. Add the onion, carrot and 2 cloves of the garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly for another minute to thoroughly coat the rice with the oil.
5. Add ½ cup of stock and stir until it is completely absorbed into the rice. Repeat with another ½ cup of stock. Then add the remaining stock and the wine, cover and simmer for about 18 minutes or until the rice is just tender and the liquid is almost absorbed.
6. Stir in the grated beet, cover and let sit.
7. In another large skillet melt the remaining oil and the butter. Add the other 2 garlic cloves, the shrimp and pepper flakes and saute until the shrimp are opaque and just cooked through.
8. Stir the cheese into the risotto and season with salt and pepper. Scoop some of the risotto into individual serving bowls, garnish each with some of the diced beet, minced arugula and 2 or 3 of the shrimp scampi.
9. Serve with additional cheese if desired.