This turkey recipe is one that my husband and I work together on. The 15 lb turkey (or larger) is brined over night and then I slow roast it in the oven while my husband gets his smoker ready.
- 15lb turkey or higher depending on servings
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1 gallon water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 sticks of butter, divided
- 2 Apples, roughly chopped
- 2 oranges cut in quarters, leaving on rind
- 1 lemon, roughly chopped
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 5 stalks of celery, roughly chopped
No nutrition information available
- Wash the turkey very well, inside and out, save giblets for gravy.
- To brine, mix kosher salt with water and totally cover turkey with brine solution over night. Remove turkey from brine and rinse thoroughly.
- Set the oven to 300 degrees.
- Roughly chop 1 stick of butter, apples, oranges, lemon, onions, and celery. Toss in salt and pepper and stuff the turkey. You can tuck the legs inside the bird or truss. Salt, pepper, and add the extra stick of butter to the outside of the turkey. Roast the turkey for 1½ hours.
- Transfer turkey to smoker on foil or a pan, for 3-4 hours at 275-300 degrees.
- Optional: Place a container under the turkey to collect the juices as they drip, to make fabulous gravy. Cook giblets with celery, onions, and one orange zest. Combine with the turkey drippings when removed from the smoker and serve ladled over the tender, juicy meat.