This is a multi-step process, but well worth the effort. Because brisket is chilled after cooking, it allows you to remove excess fat, and makes slicing easier.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
1 beef brisket, approximately 2½ pounds
2 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 medium onion, peeled, cut into ½-inch slices
½ cup lager or ale
2 cups (more to taste) Barbecue Sauce (recipe listed under Sauces and Dressings) or purchased BBQ sauce
Nutritional information per serving (based on 8 servings): Calories 229 (31% from fat) • carb. 14g • pro. 25g • fat 8g • sat. fat 2g • chol. 72mg • sod. 496mg • calc. 38mg • fiber 1g
1. Trim fat cap on top of brisket to ¹∕8-inch thickness. Do not remove it all – it helps to keep the brisket tender and moist.
2. Combine the brown sugar, Worcestershire, pepper, garlic powder, salt, dry mustard, and liquid smoke. Rub all over the brisket. If time allows, cover and refrigerate overnight to marinate.
3. Make a single layer of the sliced onions in the bottom of the ceramic pot of the Cuisinart® Slow Cooker. Add the lager. Place the coated brisket on top. Cover and press the on/off button to turn the unit on. Set time to 10 to 12 hours and press Low; slow cooker will automatically switch to Warm setting.
4. Remove the brisket, onions and cooking juices from the Slow Cooker and place in a shallow pan. Cover and refrigerate. One hour before serving, remove brisket from refrigerator. Preheat oven to 375°F.
5. Remove hardened fat and discard. Remove brisket from cooking liquid. Strain liquid from onions and reserve for another use (you will have about 2 cups. This may be frozen – it is very good to use in soups); discard onions. Slice meat thinly (¹∕8 -inch thick slices) while cold.* Reassemble and place in roasting pan/baking dish. Spread 2 cups Barbecue Sauce evenly over the reassembled roast. Cover pan with lid or foil and place in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until heated through. Serve hot.
6. Alternatively the meat can be sliced thickly, then shredded using fingers or two forks. Stir in sauce and reheat until it just bubbles. After reheating, the Beef Barbecue may be placed in the Slow Cooker on Low for 1 hour, then turned to Warm when cooking time has elapsed. *Thin slices will be easy to achieve using a Cuisinart® Electric Knife.