This beef stew is one of the simplest you will ever find. Just combine the ingredients and cook slowly.
2 to 2½ pounds beef chuck (reduce to 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds for the MSC-400 unit), cut into 1- to 2-inch cubes*
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 medium onion (reduce to 1 small onion for the MSC-400 model), peeled and finely chopped
2 medium carrots (reduce to 1 carrot for the MSC-400 model), peeled and cut into ½-inch rounds (halve rounds if carrots are on the larger side)
1 medium parsnip (withhold if using the MSC-400 model), peeled and cut into ½-inch rounds
1 small to medium celery stalk, thinly sliced
¾ pound small new white or red potatoes (reduce to only 4 potatoes, if using the MSC-400 model), quartered
6 garlic cloves (reduce to 4 cloves if using MSC-400 model), peeled, left whole
4 ounces cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, halved or quartered
1 teaspoon dried herbes de Provence
1 bay leaf
½ cup dry red wine
¼ cup tomato paste
2½ cups beef stock (reduce to 1 1/2 cups for the MSC-400 model), low sodium
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley, for garnish
Nutritional information per serving (1 cup):
Calories 231 (40% from fat) • carb. 14g • pro. 21g
• fat 11g • sat. fat 5g • chol. 64mg • sod. 418mg
• calc. 42mg • fiber 3g
1. Put all ingredients except for the cornstarch, peas and parsley into the cooking pot of the Multicooker.
2. Set to Slow Cook on Low for 16 hours.
3. Once the unit switches to Keep Warm, transfer 1 tablespoon of the stew liquid to a small measuring cup or ramekin. Stir in the cornstarch to make a slurry. Switch the unit to Brown/Sauté at 350°F to bring the stew to a boil. Stir in the slurry and allow to cook for about 1 to 2 minutes to thicken the stew. Stir in the peas and parsley and switch to Keep Warm (on Slow Cook) for serving.
4. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.
Note: If you have time, you can brown the beef prior to slow cooking. Do this on Brown/Sauté at 400˚F prior to the first step.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!