Authentic Chicken PaprikashUser Submitted Recipe
Straight from Grandmother
2 tablespoons bacon grease
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 garlic clove, minced
1 & 1/2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon salt
1 tomato, peeled & chopped
1 green pepper, seeded & chopped
3/4 cup chicken stock
1 fresh broiler chicken cut into pieces
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup half-n-half
1/2 cup sour cream
Note: To be served with dumplings.
1. In a heavy kettle or Dutch oven, heat bacon grease, add onions and garlic, sauté until light brown.
2. Add paprika, salt, tomato, green pepper and chicken stock. Cover and cook 10 minutes.
3. Add the chicken, cover and cook until tender, about 40 minutes.
4. Remove skin from chicken and return the meat to the kettle. Add water or additional chicken stock, if necessary, to make 1 & 1/4 cups broth. (more broth may be needed depending on # of dumplings)
5. Blend flour and half-n-half, pour mixture into kettle and cook, stirring until thickened.
6. Add sour cream to kettle, mix well just until heated through. Do not let it boil.
7. Remove chicken from kettle.
8. Place dumplings in sauce in kettle to coat.
9. Serve immediately.
(See first ingredient)