JambalayaUser Submitted Recipe
New Orleans Style
2 Tbs. corn oil
2 Tbs. flour
6-8 cups boned chicken meat, cut bite-size
5 cups Andouille sausage, or Italian sweet sausage
4 cups shrimp, peeled
1/4 lb. butter
6 cups onion, chopped
3 cups bell pepper, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 Tbs. garlic, chopped
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
3 Tbs. fresh whole basil leaves
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup Cajun seasoning
10 1/2 cups chicken stock
3 cups canned crushed tomatoes
1/2 small can tomato paste
1 teaspoon salt
pinch of ground red pepper
5 cups uncooked white rice
1 green onion, chopped
1. In a 4-quart saucepan, heat oil and add flour. Whisk until dark brown. Add chicken stock and whisk until totally blended. Add chicken. Cook about 15-20 minutes, then bring to a rolling boil.
2. Meanwhile, in a 12-quart saucepan heat butter on high until totally melted and bubbling. Add vegetables, garlic, basil and Cajun seasoning. Stir well. Saute on high until onions begin to wilt. Add salt and cayenne pepper.
3. Saute another 5 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and stir well. Bring back to a bubble and add tomato paste. Taste. Mixture should be slightly too salty.
4. Add sausage and shrimp, stir well. Cook for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add cooked chicken and chicken stock mixture. Stir in well.
6. Bring back to a rolling boil and add rice. Stir well, cover, simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. Cover for 5 minutes. Repeat until rice is 95% cooked, about 20-25 minutes, in all.
7. Cover, remove from heat and let stand at least 10 minutes.
8. Add chopped green onion. Stir well and serve.
no nutrition information available
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!