Chicken FrancataUser Submitted Recipe
COOKS NOTES: Buy whole chicken breasts which have 2 breasts. Trim them good eliminating all the fat and silver skin. Then cut each cutlet in half. Cover each cutlet with a small plastic bag and then pound to 1/4" thick.
Use a large cookie sheet lined with foil to prep, coat and cook the chicken cutlets. Don't worry if the pan has a little flour remaining from dredging. "
6 Large Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts, cut in 2 and then cut in half to make 12 cutlets
Flour for Dredging and Rolling the Butter In, about 2 cups
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
4 Large Eggs
6 Tablespoons Butter
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
For the Sauce:
1/3 Cup Lemon Juice, from 4 medium lemons
1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest, "
2 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth, Swanson Natural Goodness
1/4 Cup Capers, rinsed
1/4 Cup Butter, cut into 4 slices
1/3 Cup Fresh Parsley, chopped fine
1. Heat the oven to 175 degrees for keeping the chicken warm. Line a large rimmed cookie sheet with a generous piece of foil.
2. Cut, trim and pound the chicken cutlets to 1/4" thickness. Set on the lined cookie sheet piled on one side.
3. To a large dinner plate, add the flour, salt and pepper. Combine in an even layer; set aside. In a medium wide bowl beat the eggs; set aside.
4. Dredge the prepared chicken cutlets in the flour on both sides; shake off excess and place on the empty side of the cookie sheet.
5. In a large 12"-14" skillet over medium high heat, melt half the butter and half the olive oil. When the butter/oil starts to sizzle the cutlets are ready to saute. Don't let the butter/ oil burn.
6. Dip the flour dredged cutlets in the egg wash evenly but thinly coating both sides. IMMEDIATELY saute in the sizzling butter/oil mixture about 3-4 cutlets at a time. Cook on each side just until golden brown and remove to the foil lined cookie sheet arranging in a single layer. Set aside in the heated oven while making the sauce. Repeat the saute process. Discard the oil and butter if it becomes too brown and using the remaining butter and oil. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel before adding fresh butter and oil.
7. MAKE THE SAUCE: Wipe out the pan with a paper towel. Over medium high heat add the lemon juice, lemon zest, chicken broth and capers. Bring to a simmer and let reduce for about 5 minutes. Check for seasonings. Add salt, pepper and a little sugar if necessary.
8. Roll each piece of butter into the leftover flour mixture. Use your fingers to coat the butter well. Add the flour coated butter to the simmering sauce and whisk until the sauce thickens slightly.
9. Remove the chicken from the oven and pour the sauce in an even layer. Sprinkle the parsley evenly over the chicken. Keep warm in the oven just until serving.
no nutrition information available
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!