The taste of homemade sausage surpasses the taste of prepackaged and is very easy to make in the Cuisinart® food processor. Cook it “loose” on the stovetop to add to any pasta or sauce dish, or make New York City-style sausage rolls using pizza dough and sauce like we do here.
- 1 pound pork shoulder, trimmed of any excess fat and cut into
- 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground
- black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 recipe pizza dough, page 58
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup prepared pizza sauce
Nutritional information per serving (½ sausage roll): Calories 472 (35% from fat) • carb. 49g • pro. 29g • fat 18g
sat. fat 7g • chol. 70mg • sod. 1275mg • calc. 228mg • fiber 2g
- Put pork pieces into the freezer for 30 minutes to slightly harden. While pork is in the freezer, toast fennel seeds in a pan over medium heat. Reserve.
- Insert the large chopping blade into the large work bowl. With the food processor running on High, drop the garlic through the small feed tube to finely chop. When the pork shoulder cubes are sufficiently cold, put them into the large bowl with the chopped garlic. Add the toasted fennel seeds, salt, pepper and sugar. Pulse to coarsely chop, about 15 to 20 times.
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, cook chopped pork until completely browned. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain and cool. Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- While sausage is cooling and oven is heating, lightly dust a flat surface with flour. Roll the prepared pizza dough into an 18-inch circle. Divide into four equal pieces.
- Take one piece of dough and place it in front of you with the point facing away from you. Put 1/2 cup of the shredded mozzarella into the center of each piece
- of dough and arrange into a horizontal straight line. Distribute the meat evenly on top of each cheese pile. Top each with ¼ cup of pizza sauce.
- Close roll by folding the long bottom part of the dough loosely over the mixture, then fold the tip over the folded dough and tuck under roll. The sides of the sausage roll will be exposed. Repeat with each of the pieces of dough.
- Put the rolls on a baking sheet lined with foil and bake in the lower part of the oven until dough is golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!