4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
4 medium celery stalks, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 large onions, cut into 8 pieces
2 fresh thyme sprigs
2 fresh sage sprigs
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon juniper berries
2 cups water
1 16-pound turkey
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
Nutritional information per serving (meat only):
Calories 141 (17% from fat) • carb. 0g • sugars. 0g• pro. 28g • fat 3g • sat. fat 1g
• chol. 90mg • sod. 223mg • calc. 15mg • fiber 0g
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Put the carrots, celery, onions, thyme, sage, peppercorns and juniper berries with the water in the bottom of a large roasting pan.
3. Fit the rack in the pan on top of the vegetables. Pat the turkey with paper towels to completely dry the entire bird, both outside and inside the cavity. Sprinkle the salt and pepper all over the turkey, including the cavity. Rub the outside of the turkey with the olive oil and then place on the rack fitted in the roasting pan.
4. Put turkey into the preheated oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 350°F. Rotate roasting pan every hour while cooking.
5. Roast until the thickest part of the thigh registers 170°F with an instant-read thermometer. Begin checking the temperature at 4 hours.
6. Allow turkey to rest at least 30 minutes before carving. while it's resting, pour off any drippings and place in freezer to separate out the fat, leaving the rest to add to the gravy.
Transfer turkey on a stable cutting board. Using the knife attachment on speed 5, carve turkey by starting with the legs. Cut each drumstick off and then each thigh. Slice the meat off each as you go. Remove each breast, using the breastbone as a guide. Slice each breast thinly against the grain.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!