It seems as though Middle Eastern spices were created to go with lamb; this recipe will definitely show you why! Leftover lamb is great sliced for sandwiches and spread with the Yogurt-Tahini Sauce.
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
3 cinnamon sticks, halved
1½ teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for
4 garlic cloves
4 sprigs oregano, leaves only
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ cup olive oil
1 boneless leg of lamb, (2½ to 3 pounds)
1 cup plain yogurt, whole or reduced fat
1 tablespoon tahini
½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
Pita bread, toasted and kept warm for serving
Nutritional information per serving (lamb; based on 10 servings):
• Calories 208 (52% from fat) • carb. 1g • pro. 23g • fat 12g • sat. fat 3g
• chol. 73mg • sod. 435mg • calc. 23mg • fiber 1g
1. Prepare the marinade for the lamb: Put the cumin and coriander seeds in a small, dry skillet over medium heat. Cook until seeds are just toasted and fragrant. Remove. Put the toasted seeds in a Cuisinart® Spice Grinder or Chopper along with the cinnamon sticks, salt, pepper, garlic, oregano and cayenne. Pulse a few times to break up, scraping down as needed. Add the oil and process until a paste has formed.
2. Rub the paste all over the lamb (remove any butcher’s twine or netting so the lamb can be evenly coated). Transfer to a large mixing bowl, covered with plastic, or to a 2-gallon resealable bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours, up to overnight.
3. Once lamb has marinated, remove from bowl/bag and tie tightly with butcher’s twine in 2-inch intervals. and then fit onto the spit. Secure well with the skewers.
4. Adjust the rack to position 1 and place the baking pan on the rack. Fit the spit into the oven and set to the Meat setting on the Rotisserie function at 400°F for 45 minutes. The lamb is cooked when the internal temperature reaches 130°F, for medium rare. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
5. While lamb is cooking, prepare the Yogurt-Tahini Sauce. In a small bowl whisk together all of the sauce ingredients until homogenous. Reserve in the refrigerator (this can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week).
6. Using the rotisserie grip, remove the lamb from the oven. Allow to rest for at least 5 to 10 minutes before carving .
7. To serve, thinly slice lamb and serve with the Yogurt-Tahini Sauce and toasted pita bread.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!