- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 pounds lean ground turkey (7% fat)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1½ pounds Spanish onions, peeled and chopped
- ¹∕³ cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons ground allspice
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1½ teaspoons oregano
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1½ x ¼-inch strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1½ x ¼-inch strips
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Per 1 cup: Calories 323 (51% from fat) • carb. 10g • pro. 30g • fat 18g • sat. fat 5g • chol. 78mg • sod.301mg • calc. 68 mg • fiber 3g
- Heat one teaspoon olive oil in a Cuisinart® 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add ¹∕³ of the turkey to the pan and cook until brown, breaking up clumps with the back of a spoon, about 7 minutes. Transfer to the ceramic pot of the Cuisinart® Slow Cooker. Brown the remaining meat in two more batches each with one teaspoon of oil.
- Heat the remaining one tablespoon of oil over medium heat in the same pan; add the garlic and onion and cook until translucent and softened, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, allspice, cinnamon, coriander, and oregano; cook over low heat until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer onion mixture to the slow cooker. Stir in diced tomatoes, peppers, chicken stock, wine vinegar, bay leaf and kosher salt. Cover and press the on/off button to turn the unit on. Set time to 6 hours and press Low; slow cooker will automatically switch to Warm when cooking time has elapsed.
- Serve with chili condiments shredded lowfat Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, diced avocado, chopped tomato, chopped onions, chopped peppers and warm cornbread.