SpanakopitaCuisinart Original Recipe
Paired with a big Greek salad and a glass of white wine, this is a perfect evening meal."
1½ teaspoons olive oil
1 small to medium onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 scallions, trimmed and finely chopped
½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided pinch freshly ground black pepper
12 to 16 ounces fresh or frozen spinach (if using frozen, defrost and drain very well over a colander lined with a clean towel)
8 ounces feta, crumbled
¼ cup loosely packed chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped, fresh dill pinch ground nutmeg
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
½ package prepared filo dough, defrosted, and cut into a 9 x 9-inch square (keep covered with a damp towel and plastic wrap until ready to use)
1 cup finely ground plain breadcrumbs
1. Put the oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and scallions, and a pinch each of the salt and pepper. Sauté until onion is translucent and softened. Add the spinach, a little at a time, and sauté until bright and wilted. Remove and cool to room temperature.
2. Once the spinach mixture has cooled, transfer to a large mixing bowl with the remaining filling ingredients and mix until combined.
3. Brush a 9-inch square baking pan generously with the melted butter. Fit one filo sheet into the pan, brush generously with melted butter, and then sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon of the breadcrumbs. Repeat to make eight layers.
4. Top the eighth layer with all of the spinach filling and smooth using a spatula or spoon to make it level. Top with one piece of filo, brush generously with melted butter and top with 1 tablespoon of the breadcrumbs. Repeat with the remaining pieces of filo in the same manner. Brush the top layer with butter only. Using a sharp knife, score the top to make nine even squares.
5. Preheat oven on Bake at 350°F with the rack in the lower position. Bake for 1 hour, until the top is well browned. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
ServingsMakes one 9-inch tart (9 servings)
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 326 (54% from fat) • carb. 28g • pro. 10g • fat 20g • sat. fat 11g
• chol. 90mg • sod. 679mg • calc. 200mg • fiber 2g