Makes 12 servings
3 tablespoons Kirsch
½ cup dried cherries
4½ tablespoons butter, room temperature, divided
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup reduced-fat milk
¼ cup lightly toasted and chopped hazelnuts
1 quart hot water
Nutritional information per serving (based on 12 servings): Calories 342 (39% from fat) • carb. 48g • pro. 6g • fat 16g • sat. fat 8g
• chol. 49mg • sod. 278mg • calc. 51mg • fiber 3g
1. Cut a piece of aluminum foil 20 inches in length; double over. Lightly coat foil with ½ teaspoon butter, reserve. Cut another piece of aluminum foil about 24 inches long.
2. Fold in half lengthwise, then fold in half again two more times to create a strip about 24 inches in length and 2 inches wide to make a “cradle”; reserve.
3. Cut a piece of kitchen twine 36 inches in length.
4. Heat Kirsch until very warm, but not boiling. Add cherries and macerate for ½ hour. Lightly coat the bottom and sides of a 2-quart soufflé dish with ½ tablespoon butter and dust with cocoa. Set aside. Place unsweetened chocolate and semisweet chocolate with remaining butter in a Cuisinart® 1¾-quart saucepan. Melt over low heat.
5. Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Beat eggs and sugar until thick, using a Cuisinart® Hand Mixer on medium high speed, about 5 minutes. Reduce speed to low and mix in ¹∕³ of the flour mixture and ½ the milk, alternately, ending with the flour. Gently incorporate cherries, Kirsch and hazelnuts.
6. Pour pudding into prepared soufflé dish. Cover with buttered foil. Secure with twine. Set the dish in the center of the long strip of folded foil and bring up the sides to meet, twisting them together to form a handle. Place the cooking rack in the ceramic pot of the Cuisinart® Slow Cooker. Pour hot water into the bottom of the pot. Set covered dish on rack, using the foil cradle to help lift the dish and care- fully lower the dish into the pot and place on the rack. Cover and press the on/off button to turn the unit on. Set time to 2½ hours and press High; slow cooker will automatically switch to Warm when cooking time has elapsed. Care- fully remove the soufflé dish from the slow cooker using the foil strips to lift it.