1. Prepare the dough. Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt, and then
add the butter cubes. Using your hands, rub the butter into the flour
until the butter is fully coated and broken into pieces the size of peas.
Then add the water and mix until the dough is no longer powdery dry
and is coming together when pinched. (This process could also be
done in a food processor fitted with the metal chopping blade. First,
process the dry ingredients on Low, and then add the butter. Pulse
on High until the butter pieces are about the size of peas. Slowly
pulse in the water 1 tablespoon at a time. Finish bringing the dough
together on a lightly floured surface by hand.) Fold the dough over
itself a few times (this helps to make extra flaky layers), and then
form into two rounds. Wrap well and chill a minimum of two hours or
up to overnight.
2. Just before getting ready to cook, prepare the filling. In a medium to
large mixing bowl, combine the peaches, raspberries, sugar, tapioca
flour, candied ginger, lemon juice, vanilla, salt, and ground ginger, and
mix gently to combine. Reserve.
3. Roll one of the pieces of dough into a large round about 1
/8 to ¼ inch
thick, and then cut out pieces with a 4-inch round cutter. Use a slotted spoon to scoop a couple of tablespoons of filling, letting any
excess liquid drain back into the bowl, and place in the center of one
of the rounds. Brush the edge of the filled round with the egg wash,
and then top with an unfilled round of dough. Press to seal, and then
use a paring knife to cut a couple of small slits on top. Repeat with
the remaining dough rounds from the first piece of dough. Refrigerate
the prepared hand pies. Reserve any dough scraps.
4. Repeat with the second round of dough, combining and rerolling any
dough scraps. Hand pies are very forgiving, so don’t let the extra
dough go to waste!
5. Once the hand pies are all assembled and chilled, select Bake,
and set the time to 20 minutes and the temperature to 350°F.
6. While the AirFryer is preheating, brush the tops of four of the hand
pies with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired. Once
preheated, place into the basket and bake until nicely browned.
7. Remove and repeat with the remaining hand pies.