For a taste of the tropics, prepare this sorbet for your family and friends.
Makes about 7 cups (fourteen ½-cup servings)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 4½ cups cubed pineapple (fresh or frozen, thawed, not canned)
Nutritional information per serving (based on ½ cup):
Calories 82 (1% from fat) • carb. 21g • pro. 0g • fat 0g • sat. fat 0g
• chol. 0mg • sod. 12mg• calc. 8mg • fiber 1g
- Prepare simple syrup by adding the water, sugar and salt (if using fresh pineapple, the core can be added to the pot as well) to a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat. Cook until the sugar is fully dissolved. Discard the core and remove from heat and bring to room temperature.
- In a blender, combine the simple syrup and the cubed pineapple and blend until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh strainer. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Press Sorbet and then Start/Stop. Pour the mixture through the spout and then cover with the cap. Let mix until thickened. The sorbet will have a soft texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the sorbet to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.