Chocolate candy surprises in the center of these chewy peanut butter cookies.
- 2½ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces, at room temperature
- ½ cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ cups peanut butter (creamy or chunky)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 45 milk chocolate or caramel filled chocolate candies, each about ¾ inch square*
- sugar for dusting cookies
*Use candies such as Dove Promises®, Mini Rolo® Bites, squares of Cadbury® Caramello® or filled Perugina® chocolates.
No nutrition information available
- Place flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir with a whisk to blend. Reserve.
- Place the butter and shortening in the Cuisinart™ mixing bowl. Insert the flat mixing paddle. Turn to speed 1 and blend for 1 minute, increase to speed 4 and cream for 2 minutes. Scrape the bowl and paddle. Cream for one minute longer on speed 4. Add both sugars, and cream for 2 minutes on speed 4. Add peanut butter, creaming for 1 minute on speed 4. Scrape the bowl and paddle. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing on speed 2 for 15 to 20 seconds after each egg is added. Add vanilla and mix for 15 seconds. Scrape the bowl and paddle. Add half the dry ingredients; mix using speed 1 for 1 minute. Scrape the bowl and paddle. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix using speed 1 until blended in, about 45 seconds.
- Scoop out the dough into walnut-sized balls (you may use a #40 ice cream scoop), shape each around a piece of chocolate and form into balls. Roll in granulated sugar. Refrigerate for 2 hours or longer before baking.
- Fifteen minutes before baking, preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with parchment. Roll chilled cookie dough balls in granulated sugar again. Arrange evenly spaced, at least 2½ inches apart, on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 14 to 16 minutes. Let stand 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Let cookies cool for 10 minutes or longer before eating so that the melted filling does not burn the tongue and has a chance to set.