One night I had a desire for peanut butter cookies but my son, Billy, requested brownies. I decided to combine my two classic recipes to save bake time and also create a new taste combination in a cookie. Refrigerating the brownie batter makes it easy to convert to a cookie dough.
1¼ Cups Cake Flour
¼ Teaspoon Salt
¼ Teaspoon Baking Powder
3 Ounces Dark Chocolate
4 Ounces Unsweetened Chocolate
¾ Cup Unsalted Butter, 1½ sticks
2¼ Cups Sugar, finely granulated
4 Large Eggs
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
Peanut Butter Dough:
1⅓ Cups All-purpose Flour
½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
¼ Cup Unsalted Butter, softened
¼ Cup Shortening, Crisco
½ Cup Peanut Butter, Creamy
½ Cup Granulated Sugar
½ Cup Light Brown Sugar, packed
1 Large Egg
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
No nutrition information available
1. MAKE THE BROWNIE COOKIE DOUGH: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
2. Melt the chocolates and butter in a large heatproof mixing bowl in the microwave oven for about 1 minute. Whisk the mixture together until smooth and completely melted.
3. Gradually whisk in the sugar until combined.
4. Whisk in the eggs one at a time until thoroughly combined and then the vanilla.
5. With a large rubber spatula, fold in the flour mixture in 3 additions until smooth and slightly thickened. Refrigerate the batter while you make the peanut butter cookie dough (about 30 minutes).
6. MAKE THE PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE DOUGH: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and soda and salt. Set aside.
7. In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the next 5 ingredients. Beat on medium-high speed until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
8. On low speed, add the egg and vanilla and beat just until blended.
9. Slowly add the dry ingredients and beat just until a soft dough forms. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
10. PUT IT ALL TOGETHER: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line 4 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
11. With floured hands, roll each brownie into a ¼ cup ball and place 6 to a cookie sheet. Make a round indentation in the middle of each brownie cookie with a teaspoon.
12. Roll each peanut butter cookie into a tablespoon size ball and place in the INDENTATION of each brownie cookie. Flatten each peanut butter cookie slightly with a fork for a nice design effect and to insure both doughs bake evenly. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the brownie cookies start to crack and the peanut butter cookies start to turn golden brown. Do not over bake. Cool completely before storage.