Fried foods are a signature treat for Hanukkah, and doughnuts are a featured player for most celebrations. Here is a twist on the simple plain cake doughnut.
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon sweet matcha
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Matcha Sugar (for coating):
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon sweet matcha
- 2 pinches kosher salt
No nutrition information available
- Put the dry ingredients into a medium mixing bowl. Whisk to combine; reserve.
- Put the liquid ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Whisk until completely combined. Add the dry ingredients and stir, with a wooden spoon or flexible spatula, until a dough forms.
- Transfer dough to a heavily floured surface to knead a few more times. Wrap in wax paper or parchment and chill for a minimum of 30 minutes (up to 2 hours).
- About 10 minutes prior to cooking doughnuts, fill a deep Cuisinart® saucepan halfway with vegetable oil. Set over medium heat and bring to 350°F (a deep fat/candy thermometer is useful in monitoring the temperature of the oil).
- While oil is heating, remove dough from refrigerator and roll out to ½ inch thick. Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut into rounds, and then using a 1½-inch round cutter, cut a smaller round in the center of each to form the doughnuts. Roll any scraps and cut in the same fashion – you should have about 12 doughnuts.
- Line a plate with paper towels. Put the matcha sugar in a shallow bowl or pan; reserve.
- Once the oil has reached 350°F, carefully fry doughnuts, about 1 to 2 minutes per side (doughnuts should be a nice golden brown on each side). Be sure to only fry a few at a time, being sure not to overcrowd the pan. If too many are fried at once, the temperature of the oil will significantly drop and the doughnuts will not fry properly.
- Remove the fried doughnuts and transfer to the prepared, plate to remove any excess oil. Carefully put each fried doughnut into the shallow bowl/pan with the matcha sugar and toss to full coat.
- Repeat with remaining doughnuts and serve immediately.