Delicious with coffee or tea.
1½ ounces white chocolate, such as Lindt or Callebaut, broken up, chilled
1 ounce crystallized ginger
1¼ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt Zest
1-½ lemons, removed with a vegetable peeler, bitter white pith shave off
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
¼ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 large egg
½ tablespoon brandy
½ tablespoon vanilla
Nutritional information per biscotti: Calories 48 (46% from fat) • carb 6g • pro 1g • fat 2g sat. fat 1g • chol 11mg • sod 21g • calc 5mg • fiber 1g
1. Preheat the oven to 325º F. Insert the metal blade. Use the pulse to chop the white chocolate, about 5 to 10 times, there should be no pieces larger than ½-inch. Remove and reserve.
2. Use the pulse to chop the crystallized ginger, 10 to 15 times, there should be no pieces larger than ½-inch. Remove and reserve.
3. Pulse the flour; baking powder and salt to quick sift. Remove and reserve. Process the zest with ¼ cup of the sugar until finely chopped, about 20 to 30 seconds. Add the remaining sugar and the butter, process until smooth. The mixture may look curdled, do not worry.
4. With the machine running, add the eggs one at a time. Add the brandy and vanilla. Scrape the work bowl. Add the flour mixture, chopped white chocolate and chopped ginger. Process to incorporate, about 10 seconds.
5. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gather into a ball. Divide into 3 equal portions. Shape into flat logs, about 12 inches long and 1-½ inches wide.
6. Arrange on ungreased baking sheets and bake in a preheated 325º F oven for about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes.
7. Using a serrated knife, slice the logs at ½-inch intervals. Arrange on the baking sheet, so that the cut sides are exposed. Return to the oven and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, until the biscotti are just beginning to turn golden and crispy. Allow to cool completely to finish the drying process. Store in an airtight container.