My own recipe for this famous dessert, developed after years of experimentation and given the stamp of approval by a native Floridian, my husband.
2 cups graham cracker crumbs, already ground
½ stick melted butter
2 tablespoons sugar
5 egg yolks
2 cans sweetened condensed milk
1 cup Key West Lime juice
grated rinds of 2 limes or 4 Key Limes
No nutrition information available
1. Preheat oven to 350oF
2. In a Cuisinart blender finely blend graham crackers to make 2 cups of crumbs
3. Melt butter in the microwave, in a microwave safe dish.
4. Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter.
5. Using the back of a tablespoon, press the crust mixture into a 9-inch pie pan
6. Separate eggs, placing yolks in a large bowl. Reserve whites or discard.
6. With a Cuisinart Stand Mixer, beat yolks for 2 minutes, until lemon yellow.
7. Add sweetened condensed milk, one can at a time, beating between additions.
8. Add Key Lime juice, mixing gently.
9. With a citrus zester or fine grater, add the lime rind directly to the filling mixture, beating thoroughly.
10. Fill unbaked pie shell. If there is any mix remaining, place it in an ovenproof dessert dish.
11. Bake pie and ovenproof dish at 350oF. for 16 minutes.
12. Allow to cool to room temperature.
13. Place in freezer and allow to freeze overnight.
14. Cut while still frozen and allow to thaw at room temperature for 15 minutes, before serving.
15. Serve plain or with sweetened whipped cream.