An unusual, light and delicious variant of Crème Brûlée and Key Lime Pie.
8 egg yolks
½ cup sugar
2 ½ cups heavy cream
¼ cup Key lime juice
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange zest
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
No nutrition information available
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2. In a bowl, mix egg yolks and sugar until just combined.
3. In a saucepan, heat cream to just below a simmer; add to yolk mixture gradually, beating constantly. Stir in the lime juice. Continue to beat until mixture is smooth Pass through a fine strainer into a bowl or measuring cup with a pouring lip.
4. Stir in vanilla and orange zest.
5. Pour into 6-8 ramekins. Place in a large baking pan; add water to the pan until it reaches halfway up the side of the ramekins.
6. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
7. Remove ramekins from pan; cool to room temperature.
8. Refrigerate until chilled, 8 hours or up to 2 days.
9. Just before serving, top each custard with brown sugar. Using a small torch crisp and caramelize the brown sugar. Do not allow sugar to burn.