Best made when strawberries are at their peak in season, this ice cream is light, sweet and fruity.
Makes about 5½ cups (eleven ½-cup servings)
- 1½ cups fresh strawberries, hulled*
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ²∕³ cup granulated sugar
- 1 pinch sea or kosher salt
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Nutritional information per serving (based on ½ cup):
Calories 175 (62% from fat) • carb. 15g • pro. 1g • fat 12g • sat. fat 8g
• chol. 46mg • sod. 21mg • calc. 24mg • fiber 0g
- Put the strawberries into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the chopping blade. Pulse strawberries until rough/finely chopped (depending on preference). Reserve in bowl.
- In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed or whisk to combine the milk, sugar and salt until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Stir in reserved strawberries with all juices. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight. Whisk mixture together again before pouring into the ice cream maker.
- Pour the mixture into the mixing bowl of the Cuisinart® Ice Cream and Gelato Maker fitted with the ice cream paddle. Turn unit on, set Timer and press Start. Let mix until thickened, about 40 minutes. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
*Frozen strawberries may be substituted if fresh strawberries
are not available.