Makes about fourteen 1/2-cup servings
- 3 cups fresh ripe strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1½ cup sugar, divided
- 1¼ cups whole milk
- 2¾ cups heavy cream
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Calories 275 (58% from fat) · carb. 28g · pro. 2g · fat 18g · sat. fat 11g · chol. 67mg · sod. 29mg · calc. 64mg · fiber 1g
- In a small bowl, combine the strawberries with the lemon juice and ½ cup of the sugar. Stir gently and allow the strawberries to macerate in the juices for 2 hours.
- Strain the berries, reserving juices.
- Mash or purée half the berries. In a medium mixing bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed to combine the milk and remaining granulated sugar until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream, reserved strawberry juice, mashed strawberries, and vanilla.
- Turn the machine on; pour the mixture into freezer bowl, and let mix until thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Five minutes before mixing is completed, add the reserved sliced strawberries and let mix in completely. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours.
- Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.