Makes about fourteen 1/2-cup servings
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- 2¼ cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons finely chopped lemon zest
Calories 339 (0% from fat) · carb. 89g · pro. 0g · fat 0g · sat. fat 0g · chol. 0mg · sod. 3mg · calc. 5 mg · fiber 0g
- Combine the sugar and water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer without stirring until the sugar dissolves, about 3 to 5 minutes. Cool completely. This is called a simple syrup, and may be made ahead in larger quantities to have on hand for making Fresh Lemon Sorbet.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to use. When cool, add the lemon juice and zest; stir to combine.
- Turn the machine on. Pour the lemon mixture into the freezer bowl, and mix until the mixture thickens, about 25 to 30 minutes. The sorbet will have a soft texture similar to a freshly scooped Italian ice. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the sorbet to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.