Great bite-sized brownies. Preparation: 10 to 15 minutes, plus baking time.
Makes 26 (may be doubled)
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
11⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 large egg
11⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2⁄3 cup mini chocolate morsels
2⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
powdered sugar for garnish
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 151 (48% from fat) • carb. 18g • pro. 2g • fat 8g • sat. fat 4g • chol. 18mg • sod. 59mg • calc. 15mg • fiber 1g
1. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over hot water or in a microwave according to manufacturer’s directions. Let cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment or nonstick baking liner sheets. Place the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl; mix on speed 1 for 20 seconds to combine. Reserve.
3. Place the butter and sugars in a medium bowl. Mix on speed 2 for 30 seconds, then mix on speed 4 until light and fluffy, 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla, mixing on speed 3 until combined, 20 seconds. Add melted, cooled chocolate; mix 20 seconds on speed 1.
4. Add flour mixture; mix on speed 1 until combined, 30 seconds. Add chocolate morsels and walnuts; mix on speed 1 to blend, 10 seconds. Scoop out dough in 11⁄2 tablespoon amounts onto prepared baking sheets. (For ease, speed and uniformity, you can use an ice cream scoop.)
5. Bake in the preheated 350°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on pans 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Just before serving, dust lightly with powdered sugar if desired.