Frost this rich chocolate cake with our Cream Cheese Frosting.
Makes two, 9-inch cakes; 12 servings
Unsalted butter, softened for greasing pans
2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1½ teaspoons instant espresso powder
1 cup boiling water
1 cup vegetable oil
¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
3 large eggs
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¾ cup buttermilk
Nutritional analysis per serving (based on 12 servings): Calories 789 (48% from fat) • carb. 98g • pro. 12g fat 45g • sat. fat 29g • chol. 175mg • sod. 427mg calc. 59mg • fiber 6g
- Preheat oven to 350°F with the rack in the middle position. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray or softened butter and line the bottoms with parchment paper. Reserve.
- Put the bittersweet chocolate, cocoa powder, and espresso powder into a small bowl and pour the boiling water over the ingredients. Stir until chocolate has melted. Cool to room temperature and reserve.
- Put the flour, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, and sale into the Cuisinart mixing bowl. Attach the flat mixing paddle and mix on Speed 2 until evenly mixed.
- Combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla into the cooled chocolate mixture.
- With the mixer on Speed 2, slowly add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth, about 1 minute, stopping as necessary to scrape entire bowl.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the center, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool into pans on a wire rack until cool to the touch. Cool cakes completely before frosting.