Fourteen 1/2-cup servings
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup slivered almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups whole milk, chilled
- 1-⅛ cups granulated sugar
- 3-5 tablespoons instant espresso powder (to taste)
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Calories 287 (70% from fat) · carb. 19g · pro. 3g · fat 23g · sat. fat 12g · chol. 71mg · sod. 131mg · calc. 78mg · fiber 0g
- Melt the butter in a 10-inch skillet. Add the slivered almonds and kosher salt. Cook over medium-low heat until almonds are toasted and golden, stirring frequently, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, strain (the butter will have an almond flavor; can be reserved for another use). Chill the nuts.
- In a medium mixing bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed to combine the milk, granulated sugar and espresso powder until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and extracts.
- Turn the machine on; pour the mixture into freezer bowl, and let mix until thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes. Add the chopped nuts to the mixture during the last 5 minutes of freezing. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
*For Coffee Ice Cream, omit the toasted buttered almonds, if desired; add 1 tablespoon Kahlua® or other coffee liqueur to the mixture. Kahlua® is a registered trademark owned by the Kahlua Company.