A light tropical treat for a warm summer day.
2½ cups flour
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup coconut milk
¾ cup plain yogurt
3 teaspoon coconut flavored extract
12 ounces cream cheese
2 cups confectioners sugar
8 oz. frozen whipped topping-thawed
2 cups flaked sweetened flaked coconut
No nutrition information available
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 3 9" round cake pans with parchment paper cut to fit bottoms only.
2. Place flour, white sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Add eggs, oil, coconut milk, yogurt and 2 teaspoon coconut flavoring and mix with electric mixer until thoroughly combined and smooth.
3. Pour evenly into prepared pans. Bake 20-25 minutes until set in middle. Cool in pans for 5 min, run knife around edges of cake and turn first cake onto a cake plate.
4. Turn remaining two cakes onto parchment paper to cool completely. Frost first layer with 1 cup of frosting. Top with second layer and repeat with frosting. Top with last layer. Frost top and sides with remaining frosting.
5. Sprinkle top and sides with toasted coconut. Cake is best after refrigerated a few hours.
Place cream cheese, confectioners sugar and 1 coconut extract in a large mixing bowl, beat with electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Beat in whipped topping and continue to beat until light and fluffy.
Place coconut on foil lined baking sheet and toast in 350 degree oven until lightly toasted-about 5-8 min. cool.