• ½ cup cocoa powder
• ¾ cup boiling water
• 1½ cups flour
• 1 cup sugar
• ½ teaspoon. baking powder
• ½ teaspoon. baking soda
• ½ teaspoon. salt
• ⅓ cup canola oil
• 1 egg
• 1½ teaspoon. real coconut extract
• ½ cup coconut flakes
• For the buttercream: 1 stick softened salted butter
• 2 cups confectioners sugar
• ½ teaspoon. real coconut extract
• 1 Tbsp. skim milk
• For the toasted coconut: ¼ cup coconut flakes
No nutrition information available
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line
2. Whisk boiling water and cocoa powder together until smooth. Allow to cool.
3. In a large mixing bowl with the whisk attachment combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt until combined. In a separate bowl whisk the canola oil, egg, coconut extract, and cooled cocoa mixture until smooth. Stir the oil mixture into the flour mixture and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes or until smooth.
4. Stir the coconut flakes into the batter with a rubber spatula. Fill cupcake tins with batter until they are ¾ filled.
5. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
6. For the buttercream, in a stand mixer with the beater attachment, beat the softened butter until smooth. With the mixer on low speed slowly add the confectioners sugar until smooth. Add the coconut extract and milk and beat until well combined. Fill a piping bag with the buttercream
7. Toast the coconut flakes in a toaster oven for 3 minutes or until golden brown.
8. When the cupcakes are cool pipe on the buttercream and sprinkle with the toasted coconut.