The most delicious Congo Bars ever. Easy to prepare, our high school girl makes these.
1 cup + 2 Tablespoons unsifted all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
⅔ cup packed light-brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
½ cup toasted almonds, chopped (optional)
No nutrition information available
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line 8-inch square baking pan with foil, extending foil beyond 2 sides of pan.
3. Lightly coat with cooking spray.
4. In a small bowl mix flour, baking soda and salt.
5. In another small bowl with Cuisinart Stand Mixer, beat butter and brown sugar on medium speed for 2 minutes.
6. Beat in egg and vanilla.
7. On low speed, beat in flour mixture just until blended.
8. Stir in chips, almonds, and all but 3 Tablespoons of the coconut.
9. Spread in prepared pan, sprinkle with remaining coconut.
10. Bake 30-32 minutes, until wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached.
11. Let cool completely in pan on a rack.
12. Lift by foil ends, transfer to cutting board. Cut into 16 squares.