A step above the traditional ice cream sandwich cookies. If you cannot find cocoa nibs, miniature chocolate chips can be substituted, or you can double the amount of pecans.
24 Cookies (12 ice cream sandwiches)
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 1⁄3 cups bread flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature and cubed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cocoa nibs
- ¼ cup chopped pecans, toasted
Calories 200 (36% from fat) • carb. 29g • pro. 2g • fat 8g • sat. fat 4g • chol. 30mg • sod. 90mg • calc. 15mg • fiber 1g
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, salt and espresso powder in a small bowl. Whisk to blend; reserve.
- Place the butter in the bowl of a Cuisinart® Stand Mixer, fitted with the mixing paddle. Using medium speed (4 to 5), cream until smooth. Gradually add the sugar and mix until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined. Add the reserved dry ingredients and using a low speed (2 to 3), mix until fully incorporated. Add the cocoa nibs and pecans and mix on low until just combined.
- Using a small ice cream scoop (about 1½ inches in diameter), scoop the dough onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet (each round should be about 2 tablespoons). Use a cup to flatten each cookie mound down.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until the cookie looks dry, but not firm. Let cookies fully cool before assembling.
- To assemble: Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop about 2 tablespoons of your favorite ice cream onto the flat part of one cookie. Place another cookie on top of the ice cream and press down until the ice cream just reaches the edge of the cookies. Continue with each set of cookies. Wrap each ice cream sandwich in plastic wrap and chill in the freezer until firm (about 20 minutes).