Scones call for a gentle hand, so be sure not to over-mix – the dough will come together in its true form as you shape them.
2 ½ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cubed
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup dried cherries
1 egg white, beaten, for brushing on glaze
Nutritional information per scone: Calories 304 (27% from fat) • carb. 48g • pro. 5g • fat 9g • sat. fat 6g • chol. 47mg sod. 224mg • calc. 58mg • fiber 2g
1. Line the Baking Pan with parchment paper; reserve.
2. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and ginger into the work bowl of a Cuisinart® Food Processor fitted with the chopping blade. Process to combine, about 10 seconds. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. In a liquid measuring cup, combine the buttermilk and egg. Add half of the liquid mixture to the work bowl and pulse twice to mix. Add remaining liquid and pulse again until just combined.
4. Remove the dough and place onto a clean counter/large cutting board. Add the cherries and fold into dough until evenly combined.
5. Form the dough into a 10-inch-long cylinder. Using a sharp knife, cut into 8 equal pieces and transfer to the prepared pan. Brush each scone with the egg white.
6. Set to Convection Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. After 5 minutes, place the pan with the scones into the oven in Rack Position 1.Bake until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.