A cake that is moist, sweet and a bit tangy. Garnish the top with sliced toasted almonds or finely chopped walnuts for a perfect presentation.
- nonstick cooking spray
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- ½lb pound carrots (3 to 4 medium), peeled
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature and cut into 8 pieces8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into 4 pieces
- 2 oz goat cheese, room temperature (sour cream or plain yogurt can be substituted)
- 2⁄3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
No nutrition information available
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch round baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Insert the chopping blade into the work bowl of a Cuisinart® Food Processor. Add the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Process on Low for 10 seconds. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Put the walnuts into the work bowl and pulse 2 to 3 times to coarsely chop. Leaving the nuts in the bowl, remove the chopping blade and replace with the medium shredding disc. Shred the carrots on High. Add the nuts and carrots to the bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Remove the shredding disc and replace with the chopping blade. Add the sugars to the work bowl. In a large measuring cup combine oil, eggs and vanilla. While the unit is running on Low, gradually add the wet ingredients through the feed tube. Process until well mixed, about 30 to 45 seconds, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan.
- Prepare the frosting. Clean the chopping blade and insert into the work bowl. Add the cream cheese and butter and process on High until smooth, about 60 seconds, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the goat cheese; process another 10 to 15 seconds. Add the sugar, salt and vanilla extract and process until completely smooth, another 15 to 20 seconds.
- Once the cake has cooled, remove from the pan and turn out onto a serving plate or cake stand. Frost the entire cake, spreading evenly on the top and sides with an offset spatula. Chill cake slightly before serving.