• 5 large eggs
• ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
• 10 tablespoons sugar, divided
• Pinch of kosher salt
• ½ cup organic pumpkin puree
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
• ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
• ½ cup cake flour
• 1 (8 ounce) brick cream cheese, room temperature
• 1 cup powdered sugar
• 4 tablespoons butter, softened
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
No nutrition information available
1. To prepare the cake: Preheat the oven to 375 degree F. Grease a 10 by 15-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Then, line the pan with parchment paper.
2. Make sure the parchment paper is large enough to have at least 2-inch excess on all sides for easy removal when the cake is done.
3. Carefully separate the eggs. Place egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and the yolks in a medium mixing bowl.
4. To the egg yolks, add 5 tablespoons of sugar and whisk until pale yellow. Then, whisk in the pumpkin puree.
5. Next, add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract. Whisk until well incorporated. Sift in the cake flour and whisk until just combined. Set aside.
6. Next, beat the egg whites with cream of tartar and a pinch of salt until frothy. Then slowly add the remaining 5 tablespoons of sugar and beat until stiff peak forms.
7. Gently fold the meringue into the egg yolk mixture in three batches. Be careful not to deflate the egg whites too much.
8. Gently spread the cake batter evenly onto the prepared cake pan. Bake for 10 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted into the cake and comes out clean. Place on a wiring rack until completely cooled. Meanwhile, work on the filling.
9. To Prepare the Cream Cheese Filling:In the bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Then add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Scrape the sides of the bowl when necessary. Beat until well incorporated.
10. To Assemble the cake: Spread the cream cheese filling onto the cooled cake in an even layer. Roll the cake up, start from the shorter end. Wrap the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour before serving.
11. When ready to serve, trim off ½-inch of the cake on both ends. Dust with powdered sugar and then transfer to serving plate. Decorate the top of the cake with whipped cream, a few Autumn Leaf Tuile Cookies (see link for recipe below), and enjoy!