Cinnamon Sugar DoughnutsCuisinart Original Recipe
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
2 tablespoons warm whole milk (105–110°F)
1 1/2 cups bread flour, plus more for mixing (up to 1/2 cup)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon pinch ground nutmeg
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature and cubed melted butter for finishing (approximately 4 tablespoons)
cinnamon sugar, for finishing
1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in the warm milk. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes, or until mixture is foamy.
2.; Put 1½ cups of the flour, the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook . Mix to combine. Once yeast has proofed, add it to the flour/sugar. Mix on medium/medium-low until combined.
3. Whisk the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla together in a large measuring cup or mixing bowl. While mixing on medium speed, gradually add the liquid ingredients to the flour mixture. Using extra ½ cup of flour, add one teaspoon at a time, as needed to keep dough from sticking to the dough hook and sides.
4. Once liquid mixture is fully incorporated, gradually add the butter, 1 piece at a time, until all have been mixed into the dough. Again, continue adding flour, 1 teaspoon at a time, to keep dough from sticking to the sides. The dough should turn over nicely in the bowl while kneading. Knead for an additional 2 to 5 minutes after butter has been added. Dough should be tender and smooth, and when pulled should not break apart.
5. Form dough into a ball and put in a clean mixing bowl, cover with plastic and allow to rest for 1 hour. After 1 hour, gently turn dough over and press dough (do not punch). Cover and allow to rest for another hour.
6. Line the baking pan with parchment paper. Divide the dough into 12 pieces (about 1¼–1½ ounces each). Working with one piece at a time, (keeping the others covered loosely with plastic) form into a disc about 3 to 4 inches in diameter. Using a small round cutter (½- to ¾-inch) cut a hole out of the center. Put cut round on the lined baking sheet and cover loosely with plastic. Reserve the doughnut holes on a separate plate, covered with plastic. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough.
7. Once 6 doughnuts have been cut, put them in the oven with the rack in the middle rack position. Set to Steam at 100°F for 15 minutes. At the end of the steaming cycle, switch to Bread at 350°F for 12 minutes. Doughnuts should be nicely puffed with minimal color when done. Repeat with remaining 6 doughnuts and finally the doughnut holes.
8. While doughnuts are baking, melt remaining butter in a small saucepan set over low heat. Put cinnamon sugar in a shallow bowl. Reserve.
9. Remove doughnuts from oven and immediately brush with butter on all sides and then gently toss in cinnamon sugar. Serve immediately.
ServingsMakes 12 round doughnuts, plus 12 doughnut holes
Nutritional information per serving (1 donut and 1 donut hole): Calories 175 (43% from fat) • carb. 21g • pro. 3g
• fat 8g • sat. fat 5g • chol. 52mg • sod. 65mg
• calc. 16mg • fiber 0g
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!