This is our version of the still-popular
flourless chocolate cake. Best of all you don’t need to turn on the oven!
½ tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature (for pan)
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into 2-inch pieces
¼ cup cocoa powder, sifted
¼ teaspoon table salt
¾ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon espresso powder
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 161 (59% from fat) • carb. 15g • pro. 2g
• fat 11g • sat. fat 7g • chol. 55mg • sod. 58mg
• calc. 10mg • fiber 1g
1. Prepare an 8½x4½-inch loaf pan by lightly coating with the ½ tablespoon of room temperature butter. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. Reserve.
2. In the top of a double boiler set over medium-low heat (or a heat-proof bowl set over a pot of simmering water), combine the butter and chocolate. Stir occasionally until just melted. Remove from heat and stir in the cocoa powder, salt and vanilla. Reserve.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the sugar and eggs together until lightened (this takes a few minutes. The mixture should be a pale yellow color that almost holds its shape).
4. Once the chocolate mixture has cooled, stir it into the egg/sugar mixture with the espresso powder, making sure that it is fully combined, with no streaks of color.
5. Pour cake batter into the prepared pan. Tap pan on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles and to level the cake.
6. Put the filled pan into the bottom of the cooking pot of the Multicooker. Select Slow Cook on High for 2½ hours.
7. Once unit switches to Keep Warm, turn the unit off and remove cake to cool to room temperature. Remove cake from pan and discard parchment. Wrap well and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.