This is the basic yellow cake everyone remembers and loves, and is nearly as simple as making one from a package. Pair with our Chocolate Frosting to make a great cake for any occasion.
Nonstick cooking spray
2 cups cake flour, not self-rising
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon kosher salt
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1-2/3 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup vegetable oil
1½ cups buttermilk
Nutritional analysis per serving (based on 12 servings): Calories 396 (45% from fat) • carb. 51g • pro. 5g • fat 20g sat. fat 2g • chol. 32mg • sod. 462mg • calc. 396mg fiber 1g
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two 9-inch cake pans with nonstick cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Reserve. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a medium mixing bowl. Reserve.
- Put the eggs, yolks and sugar into the bowl of the Cuisinart® stand mixer. Attach the flat mixing paddle and mix on Speed 6 until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and mix until incorporated.
- Reduce to Speed 2 and gradually add the oil. Increase to Speed 4 and mix until fully incorporated, about 1 minute. Scrape down entire bowl.
- Add one-third of the reserved dry ingredients to the bowl and mix until incorporated. Add one-half of the buttermilk and mix until incorporated. Repeat, ending with the dry mixture, stopping to scrape down the bowl as necessary.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake in the preheated oven until cakes are golden, edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan, and a cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the center, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool in pans on a wire rack until cool to the touch, then transfer cakes to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!