Mile high to rival the pie in any great American diner. Our meringue is cooked and totally safe. This is somewhat like a toasted marshmallow on top of lemon pudding.
- One Flaky Pastry Crust, baked blind
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 5 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- finely chopped zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water
- 6 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
No nutrition information available
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Have the prebaked flaky pastry crust ready to fill. When making Lemon Meringue Pie, it is important that the filling be hot when topped with the meringue before baking to prevent the meringue from shrinking.
- Have a saucepan ready with 1 inch of simmering water. The pan should be able to accommodate the Cuisinart™ mixing bowl without allowing the bottom of the bowl to touch the water.
- To make the lemon filling, place the granulated sugar, cornstarch and flour in a 2½-quart saucepan and stir. While stirring, add the water and stir until smooth. Place over medium heat and cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Whisking constantly, add about one half of the hot mixture to the egg yolks. Stir the tempered egg yolks into the rest of the liquid and place over medium heat, cooking until thickened and just beginning to bubble, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the butter and stir until blended. Stir in the lemon juice and zest. Stir until completely blended. Cover until ready to fill pie.
- To make the meringue, stir the cornstarch into the boiling water and reserve. Place the egg whites, 2 tablespoons of the granulated sugar, the 2 tablespoons water, and the cream of tartar in the Cuisinart™ mixing bowl and stir until smooth. Place over the pan of simmering water and stir constantly with a spotlessly clean rubber spatula until the mixture registers 160°F on an instant-read thermometer – start checking the temperature after about a minute of stirring. When the egg white mixture registers 160°F, dry off the bottom of the bowl and place on the stand mixer. Insert the chef’s whisk. Stir the cornstarch mixture. Whisk the egg white mixture on speed 3 for 1 minute while slowly adding the cornstarch mixture. Increase to speed 10 and slowly add the remaining ¾ cup of granulated sugar. Add the salt and vanilla and whip until the egg whites form stiff peaks, about 4 minutes.
- Spread the hot lemon filling in the prepared pie shell. Top the filling with the meringue, taking care to spread the meringue to touch the crust all the way around. Make decorative swirls and peaks on the meringue as desired. This makes a generous, high meringue topping – if you prefer, use less.
- Bake in the preheated 325°F oven for about 30 minutes until lightly browned. Cool at room temperature for about an hour, then refrigerate, uncovered, until chilled for several hours. Mile High Lemon Meringue Pie is best served the day it is made.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!