Mexican Style Chocolate Ice CreamCuisinart Original Recipe
This ice cream can be spicy for some, so adjust the cayenne to your personal taste.
2 cups whole milk
1½ cups heavy cream
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 to 2 pinches cayenne
pinch sea or kosher salt
²∕³ cup granulated sugar, divided
5 large egg yolks
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
1. In a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat, whisk together the milk, cream, vanilla, spices, salt and half of the sugar. Bring the mixture just to a boil.
2. While the milk/cream mixture is heating, combine the yolks and remaining sugar in a medium bowl. Using a hand mixer on low speed or a whisk, beat until mixture is pale and thick.
3. Place the chopped chocolate in a separate mixing bowl; reserve.
4. Once the milk/cream mixture has come to a slight boil, whisk about ¹∕³ of the hot mixture into the yolk/sugar mixture. Add another ¹∕³ of the mixture, then return the combined mixture to the saucepan. Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture constantly over the low heat until it thickens slightly and coats the back of the spoon. This mixture must NOT boil or the yolks will overcook – the process should only take a few minutes.
5. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into the bowl of the reserved chocolate; whisk to combine and then bring to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight. Whisk mixture again before pouring into the ice cream maker.
6. Pour the mixture into the mixing bowl of the Cuisinart® Ice Cream and Gelato Maker fitted with the ice cream paddle. Turn unit on, set Timer and press Start. Let mix until thickened, about 40 minutes. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
ServingsMakes about 5 cups (about ten ½-cup servings)
Nutritional information per serving (based on ½ cup):
Calories 320 (64% from fat) • carb. 26g • pro. 5g • fat 24g • sat. fat 14g
• chol. 161mg • sod. 157mg • calc. 97mg • fiber 1g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Ice Cream And Gelato Maker
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!