Buttermilk Ice CreamCuisinart Original Recipe
This slightly tangy ice cream pairs well with a slice of Southern peach pie.
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
¹∕8 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
6 large egg yolks
2 cups buttermilk
1. Put the cream, half of the sugar, salt and vanilla extract in a medium saucepan. Whisk to combine and set over medium-low heat. Bring the mixture to just a boil.
2. While the cream mixture is heating, combine the yolks and remaining sugar in a medium bowl. Using a hand mixer on low speed or whisk, beat until mixture is pale and thick.
3. Once the cream mixture has come to a slight boil, whisk about ¹∕³ of the hot mixture into the yolk/sugar mixture. Add another ¹∕³ of the mixture, then return the combined mixture to the saucepan. Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture constantly over low heat until it thickens slightly and coats the back of the spoon. This mixture must NOT boil or the yolks will overcook – the process should only take a few minutes.
4. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer. Whisk in the buttermilk and bring to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight. Whisk mixture again before pouring into the ice cream maker.
5. Pour the mixture into the mixing bowl of the Cuisinart® Ice Cream and Gelato Maker fitted with the ice cream paddle. Turn unit on, set Timer and press Start. Let mix until thickened, about 40 minutes. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
ServingsMakes about 5 cups (ten ½-cup servings)
Nutritional information per serving (based on ½ cup):
Calories 296 (62% from fat) • carb. 23g • pro. 3g • fat 20g • sat. fat 13g
• chol. 193mg • sod. 57mg • calc. 73mg • fiber 0g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Ice Cream And Gelato Maker