Similar to a pound cake. After baking, fresh grapefruit syrup is poured over the warm cake, and when cool, cake is finished with a grapefruit glaze.
butter and flour, to prep pan
3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
zest of 1 medium grapefruit, finely chopped
3 cups granulated sugar, divided
1 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces, at room temperature
6 large eggs
1 cup plain nonfat or lowfat yogurt
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¾ cup fresh pink grapefruit juice, divided
2 cups powdered sugar
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 344 (28% from fat) • carb. 58g • pro 5g
fat 11g • sat. fat 6g • chol. 89mg • sod. 116mg
calc. 37mg • vit. C 4mg (6%DV) • fiber 1g
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 10-inch tube or Bundt pan. Put the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and stir to blend; reserve.
2. Put the zest, 2½ cups of the granulated sugar and the butter in a large bowl. Using a hand mixer, mix the sugar, butter and zest on low speed for 30 seconds to combine. Mix on medium speed until creamed and light – about 3½ to 4 minutes. Scrape the bowl. Add the eggs, yogurt and extracts; mix on low speed until well blended, about 1 minute. Scrape the bowl. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape the bowl and mix until completely blended, about 30 to 40 seconds.
3. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake in the preheated 350°F oven until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 65 to 75 minutes.
4. While the cake is in the oven, prepare the syrup by combining ½ cup of the grapefruit juice with the remaining ½ cup of granulated sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved, 3 to 5 minutes; keep warm and reserve.
5. Cool cake in pan on a rack for 5 minutes, then turn out onto the rack, wash and dry the pan. Prick the top and sides of the cake with a cake tester and return it to the pan. Prick the bottom of the cake with the cake tester. Pour the warm grapefruit syrup slowly over the cake, allowing the cake to absorb the syrup. When the syrup has been absorbed, turn the cake out onto the rack to cool completely.
6. Combine the powdered sugar with the remaining grapefruit juice and stir until blended and smooth. Drizzle the pink grapefruit glaze over the cooled cake. Let rest 30 minutes before cutting.