chocolate almond torte with chocolate glazeUser Submitted Recipe
5 oz. whole blanched almonds, toasted*
1 cup sugar, divided
8 oz. 60% to 65% bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup unsalted butter
6 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons cream de cacao
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
6 oz. 60% to 65% bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 9-inch spring-form pan with cooking spray.
2. Process almonds and 1/4 cup of the sugar in food processor until almonds are finely ground.
3. Melt 8 oz. chocolate and butter in medium saucepan over very low heat, stirring frequently until smooth. Cool until warm, not hot.
4. Beat egg yolks and remaining 3/4 cup sugar in large bowl at medium speed 2 minutes or until pale yellow and thick. Beat in almond extract. At low speed, beat in chocolate mixture until blended. Beat in ground almonds.
5. Beat egg whites and salt in another large bowl at medium-high speed until stiff but not dry peaks form. Fold whites into chocolate mixture in three parts; pour into pan.
6. Bake 40 to 43 minutes or until top crust is firm when touched and center is moist but not liquid. (Don’t overbake.) Top crust may crack slightly. Place on wire rack; immediately run knife around inside of pan to loosen cake from sides. Cool completely in pan. Remove pan sides. (Cake can be made 1 day ahead. Cover loosely and store at room temperature.)
7. Meanwhile, combine cream de cacao, water and corn syrup in small bowl. Melt 6 oz. chocolate in medium heatproof bowl set over saucepan of simmering water (bowl should not touch water), stirring frequently until melted and smooth. Remove bowl from saucepan; whisk in corn syrup mixture. Spread over cake, allowing glaze to drip down sides. Let stand 45 minutes or until set.
*To toast almonds, place on baking sheet; bake at 350°F. for 6 to 9 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool.