Rich Berry-Cheese TartUser Submitted Recipe
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup finely chopped toasted almonds
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
6 tablespoons cold water
3/4 cup seedless red raspberry jam
1 3/4 cups (7 oz) shredded Swiss cheese
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup half & half
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch spring form pan, set aside.
2. Make crust: Mix flour, salt, and almonds in a medium bowl. With a pastry blender or 2 knives used scissor-fashion, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the water evenly over the mixture. Stir until dough clings together and leaves the sides of the bowl. divide dough into 2 balls, one with 2/3 of the dough and one with 1/3 of the dough. Roll the larger ball into a 12-inch circle. Put it gently on the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan.
3. Divide the smaller dough ball into 8 pieces. Roll each piece between your palms to make a 9-inch rope. Set aside.
4. Spread raspberry jam over bottom of shell in pan. Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the jam.
5. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, half & half, sugar, and salt. Pour over the cheese. Arrange the 9 pie crust ropes over the filling like the spokes of a wheel.
6. Pinch the ropes to the crust of the shell to connect.
7. Bake 35 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees until golden brown and slightly puffed up. Remove from oven and cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
8. Carefully remove sides of pan. Cool 20 more minutes. Cut into slices like a pie and serve.