This dessert highlights the tartness of the rhubarb, which is mellowed out by the sweet strawberries. Be sure to get ripe, in-season ingredients for the best results.
1 pound rhubarb, trimmed and cut into ½-inch thick slices
2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
Pinch kosher salt
¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
3 cups (about ¾ pound) strawberries, hulled and quartered (halved if strawberries are small)
4½ teaspoons tapioca starch
1 cup rolled oats (not quick cooking)
2⁄3 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
2⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
6 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 301 (27% from fat) • carb. 54g • pro. 3g • fat 9g • sat. fat 5g
• chol. 23mg • sod. 92mg • calc. 57mg • fiber 3g
1. Put the rhubarb, sugar, salt, vanilla and lemon juice in a large mixing bowl; toss to fully combine. Add the strawberries and tapioca starch, and stir to coat well. Transfer to a 9-inch square baking pan; reserve.
2. Prepare the topping: Put all the topping ingredients except the butter into a mixing bowl and combine. Add the butter and either with a pastry blender or with your fingers, work the butter into the dry ingredients. Once the butter is evenly distributed, sprinkle over the top of the filling.
3. Adjust the rack to position 2. Set the oven to Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Once the oven is preheated, bake the crisp for the allotted time, or until the filling is bubbling and the top is browned.
4. Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. This is delicious when paired with freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.