This dessert highlights the tartness of the rhubarb, which is mellowed out by the sweet strawberries. Be sure to get ripe, in-season ingredients for the best results.
1½ pounds rhubarb, trimmed and cut into ½-inch thick slices
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 pound strawberries, hulled and quartered (halved if
strawberries are small)
2 tablespoons tapioca starch
1½ cups rolled oats
1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 cup packed, light brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 349 (25% from fat) • carb. 64g • pro. 4g • fat 10g • sat. fat 6g
• chol. 24mg • sod. 174mg • calc. 67mg • fiber 4g
1. Put the rhubarb, sugar, salt, vanilla and lemon juice in a large mixing bowl; toss to fully combine. Add the strawberries and tapioca starch. Transfer to a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; reserve.
2. Prepare the topping: Put all the topping ingredients except the butter into a mixing bowl and combine. Add the butter and either with a pastry blender or with your fingers, work the butter into the dry ingredients. Once the butter is evenly distributed, sprinkle over the top of the filling.
3. Adjust the rack to position 2. Preheat the oven by selecting Dual Cook, first set to Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, then set to Broil for 2 minutes.
4. Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. This is delicious when paired with freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.