These cupcakes are never a boring combination. Our chocolate frosting makes enough for two batches, just in case!
nonstick cooking spray (if not using liners)
¾ cup cake flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon fine sea or table salt
1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
½ stick unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into small cubes
¼ cup plain yogurt (whole or reduced or nonfat variety will work)
1 large egg
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ recipe Rich Chocolate frosting (see recipe below)
Makes ¾ cup
½ stick unsalted butter, at room tem- perature, cut into cubes
½ cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract pinch sea or kosher salt
4 ounces semisweet chocolate (2 ⁄3 cup chips), melted, kept warm
3 tablespoons sour cream or plain yogurt, room temperature
Nutritional information per serving
(1 cupcake with 1½ tablespoons frosting):
Calories: 372 (46% from fat) • carb. 49g • pro. 4g
• fat 20g • sat. fat 13g • chol. 79mg • sod. 205mg
• calc. 52mg • fiber 1g
1. Preheat the Cuisinart® Oven Central® to 350ºF with both the top and bottom heaters on. Line the cupcake pan with liners, or lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl. Add the butter. Using a hand mixer fitted with the beater attachments, mix until the butter is well incorporated into the dry ingredients, giving the mixture the look of wet sand.
3. In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, mix the remaining wet ingredients. Gradually add to the dry ingredients and butter until just combined – do not over- mix.
4. Transfer the thick batter to the prepared cupcake pan, about 1/4 cup batter per cup, and place in preheated unit. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a cake tester just comes out clean.
5. Using an electric hand mixer fitted with the beater attachments, mix the butter and sugar in a small mixing bowl until creamy.
6. Mix in the vanilla and salt. Gradually add the melted chocolate and mix until incorporated. Add the sour cream or yogurt and stir until homogenous.
7. For best results, use the frosting the same day, before refrigerating. Otherwise, allow frosting to come to room temperature before using.
8. Allow cupcakes to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then remove and let them cool fully before frosting.