Potatoes, parsnips, and turnips are blended in this creamy winter vegetable soup.
1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 leek (about 6 inches of white part), cleaned well and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 garlic clove
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons dry white wine
1 pound Yukon Gold or russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 pound turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
3 cups chicken broth, low sodium, divided
1 to 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided, to taste
¼ teaspoon white pepper
1½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
½ to 1 cup heavy or light cream, optional
Chopped fresh chives or parsley for garnish
Nutritional information per serving (1 cup, with heavy cream): Calories 144 (13% from fat) • carb. 29g • pro. 5g • fat 2g • sat. fat 1g • Col. 5mg • sod. 228mg • calc. 52mg • fiber 7g
Nutritional information per serving (1 cup, without heavy cream): Calories 140 (11% from fat) • carb. 29g • pro. 5g • fat 2g • sat. fat 1g • Col. 4mg • sod. 228mg • calc. 52mg • fiber 7g
Vegetarian • Gluten Free
1. Insert the Metal Chopping Blade. Add the onion and leek, each cut into 1-inch pieces, and a garlic clove into the work bowl.
2. Secure the Cooking Lid. The processor is set to chop for 8 seconds on Speed 12.
3. Scrape the sides of the work bowl and add the tablespoon of butter. Secure the Cooking Lid with Steam Cap removed. The cooking time is set to 8 minutes at 250°F on Speed 2.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of white wine. The cooking time is set for an additional 5 minutes on Speed 2.
5. Add the pound potatoes, parsnips, turnips, each peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces with 2 cups of chicken broth and 1 teaspoon of salt.
6. Secure Cooking Lid with Steam Cap in place. The cooking time is set for 10 minutes at 285°F with no speed.
7. The cooking time is now set for 30 minutes at 205°F.
8. Vegetables should all be soft. The processor is set to purée for 1 minute on Speed 10 until smooth. If using cream, add while machine is processing.
9. With the processor running on Speed 6, add remaining cup of chicken broth for desired consistency.
10. Add teaspoon lemon juice, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning, according to preference. Garnish with chopped chives or parsley to serve.