This hearty and fragrant dish is perfect for chilly weather with friends or family.
3 medium carrots, peeled, divided
1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 celery stalk, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
¼ teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons dry red wine
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups beef broth, low sodium
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 pound baby red potatoes, cut into 1- to 2-inch pieces
2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 to 3 tablespoons unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 cup frozen peas
Nutritional information per serving (1 cup): Calories 524 (54% from fat) • carb. 26g • pro. 34g • fat 31g • sat. fat 13g • Col. 104mg • sod. 395mg • calc. 60mg • fiber 5g
1. Insert the Slicing Disc assembly adjusted to 4mm. Secure the Food Processor Lid. Slice 2 carrots on Speed 12.
2. Remove and reserve. Insert the Metal Chopping Blade. Add onion, carrot and celery, each cut into 1-inch pieces, with 2 garlic cloves to the work bowl.
3. The processor is set to chop for 8 seconds on Speed 12.
4. Replace Metal Chopping Blade with Stirring Paddle and add 2 teaspoons olive oil. Secure the Cooking Lid with Steam Cap removed.
5. The cooking time is set for 8 minutes at 285°F on Speed 2.
6. While vegetables are cooking, lightly season 2 pounds of beef on all sides with 1½ teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
7. Scrape the work bowl and add the beef. The cooking time is set for an additional 8 minutes at 285°F on Speed 2.
8. When beef is browned, add 2 tablespoons red wine. An additional 3 minutes of cooking time is set.
9. Add 2 tablespoons tomato paste. An additional 3 minutes of cooking time is set.
10. Add 2 cups beef broth, ½ teaspoon dried thyme, bay leaf, reserved carrots and pound of potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces. Replace the Steam Cap. The cooking time is set for 3 hours at 210°F with no speed.
11. Mix at least 2 tablespoons each of room temperature butter and flour together well until homogenous in a separate bowl.
12. Add the butter/flour mixture to the work bowl. The cooking time is set for 10 minutes at 220°F on Speed 3.
13. Check the consistency. Should a thicker stew be desired, stir in an additional tablespoon each of butter and flour mixture and repeat the previous step.
14. Stir in 1 cup frozen peas. Taste and adjust seasoning according to preference.