Makes about 12 servings
24 chocolate sandwich cookies
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
¼ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2½ tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
3 cups half and half
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small dice
2 cups heavy cream, well chilled
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Chocolate curls for garnish
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 489 (62% from fat) • carb. 43g • pro. 5g • fat 35g • sat. fat 20g • Col. 135mg • sod. 217mg • calc. 98mg • fiber 1g
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Insert the Metal Chopping Blade. Add 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons to the work bowl.
3. Secure the Cooking Lid with Steam Cap removed. The cooking time is set for 3 minutes at 160°F on Speed 1.
4. Break apart 24 sandwich cookies and add to the work bowl. The processor is set for 20 seconds on Speed 12.
5. Press crust evenly into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely before filling.
7. Make the filling: Wash and dry the work bowl.
8. Insert the Metal Chopping Blade. Add ¼ cup each brown sugar and granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, 2½ tablespoons cornstarch and ¼ teaspoon salt to the work bowl.
9. Secure the Cooking Lid with Steam Cap in place. The processor is set for 20 seconds on Speed 6 to combine.
10. While the processor is running on Speed 6, slowly add in 3 cups half and half and then 3 large eggs until the mixture is completely smooth.
11. Once smooth, the cooking time is set for 22 minutes at 180°F on Speed 4.
12. Keep an eye on the mixture as it heats, until just about boiling. The mixture will get quite thick as it heats and is close to ready.
13. The processor is set to Speed 6. When started, add 4 ounces chopped chocolate and 3 tablespoons butter. Process until completely incorporated.\
14. Strain filling into the cooled cookie pie shell. Cover the filling directly with wax paper or plastic wrap so that it will not develop a skin. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
15. When well chilled and ready to serve, prepare the whipped cream. Insert the Whisk and add 2 cups heavy cream, ½ cup sugar, and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract.
16. The processor is set for 2 minutes and 30 seconds on Speed 7 to whip.
17. Top the pie evenly with the whipped cream and then garnish with chocolate curls before serving.