This satisfying soup of Portuguese origin is perfect on a cold winter evening.
Makes about 10-11 cups
8 oz Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
8 oz sweet potatoes, peeled
1 small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
6 oz smoked chicken chorizo, cut in half lengthwise and then cut into ¼ -inch slices
1 small bunch kale, rough stems removed and roughly chopped
1 can (14.5 ounces) garbanzo beans, drained
1 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 cups chicken broth, low sodium
Nutritional information per serving (1 cup): Calories 143 (35% from fat) • carb. 20g • pro. 6g • fat 6g • sat. fat 3g • Col. 24mg • sod. 301mg • calc. 45mg • fiber 4g
1. Insert the Dicing Assembly. Secure the Food Processor Lid. Dice the white and sweet potatoes on Speed 12.
2. Remove and reserve together, covered with cold water to prevent oxidation.
3. Insert the Metal Chopping Blade and add a small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces, into the work bowl. Secure the Cooking Lid.
4. The processor is set to chop for 8 seconds on Speed 12.
5. Replace the Metal Chopping Blade with the Stirring Paddle. Add teaspoon olive oil and bunch of kale with stems removed and roughly chopped. Secure the Cooking Lid.
6. The cooking time is set for 5 minutes at 275°F on Speed 2.
7. Add the 3 crushed garlic cloves and chicken chorizo, halved lengthwise with each half cut into ¼-inch slices. The cooking time is set for an additional 8 minutes.
8. Remove Stirring Paddle. Add the drained, reserved potatoes, drained can of garbanzo beans, 6 cups chicken broth, 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
9. Secure Cooking Lid with the Steam Cap in place. The cooking time is set to 20 minutes at 285°F on Speed 2.
10. The remaining cooking time is set to 30 minutes at 205°F with no speed.
11. Taste and adjust seasoning according to preference.